Seniors and Dating: Benefits of Speed Dating over Online DatingLooking for new, exciting ways to meet people? If you’ve never had the opportunity to do so, give speed dating a try. Speed dating is a live, interactive method of meeting a large volume of people. Quite a departure from online dating.
It brings together an equal number of men and women. Each person spends an allotted period of “get to know you” talk time with a partner. If you would like to see that person again, you check off his/her name on your match sheet.
Usually, the men get up after the conversational exchange and move to the next table to meet another female talk partner. Contact information is only given out if there is a mutual match, thus protecting confidentiality and saving people from awkward moments of having to reject someone or from feeling obligated to give out a phone number.
Benefits of speed dating over online dating
Speed dating is a live, real time experience. First and foremost, there is that instant in person chemistry that you don’t experience via cyberspace. There is a connection--a feeling that can’t be faked when you’re talking across the table with someone. First impressions are lasting. Within those precious first few minutes, you know enough if you’d like to see the person again.
Speed dating can turn into a very social experience compared to online dating. These are events where you can meet and become friends with the same sex. Even if you don’t end up making any matches, it is always an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon or evening and meet several people at the same time.
Speed dating is safer than online dating. Meeting people face to face in a social setting is safer than meeting people online. Speed dating events bring together a group of people in a relaxed, controlled environment. Because it is in person and you’re dealing with real people, people are generally more concerned with how they come across and how they present themselves.
Speed daters are only connected up if there is a mutual match. You don’t have the awkward moments of feeling obligated to give your contact information out to someone you’re not interested in seeing again and you don’t have to reject someone face to face.
If you make a match or not, speed dating can be a fun, pleasant way to spend a few hours and make new acquaintances. Remember: Not everyone is Prince or Princess Charming. Don’t be discouraged and treat others as you would like to be treated. Be positive and you’ll enjoy yourself no matter what the outcome. With an investment of time, patience and optimism, you can meet new friends, companions and maybe a romantic partner. The journey may just be more fun than the destination.
6 Tips for Smart Speed Dating
- Guard Your Privacy: Use caution when revealing personal information. Don’t give out personal information such as home address, phone number, income, and details about home ownership.
- Stand Out: You need to be original and stand out from the rest of the participants. What are you going to talk about, how are you going to distinguish yourself so that you are unique among many.
- Friends or Lovers: Be cautious when checking off someone you would like to see again as a friend. People are there to meet a romantic partner. Be discriminating.
- Get to the Point: You usually only have 3-8 minutes of talk time to see if you have any chemistry.
- First Impressions: Remember, even though you only spend a few minutes with someone, you are still on a date. Careful what you say and stay away from taboo subjects, like religion, money, politics. Don’t drink too much and make sure you dress to impress.
SilverSparks Speed Dating is planning another speed dating event for mature adults 60+ in late summer. Check our website at silversparksdating.com to see when the next event is happening.
Seniors and Dating: Best online dating advice
Dating after divorce: 10 tips from the trenches
What baby boomer tribe do you belong to?
Intimacy for men: How to deal with a woman's emotions
True love: Inspiring seniors keep the flame alive
Have you ever tried speed dating? Share your stories and advice by contributing a comment below!