Long-term Care Retirement Homes in Ontario
Find the best long-term care homes in Ontario
Ontario’s long-term care homes, sometimes referred to as "nursing homes," are perfect for seniors who need round the clock care.
These communities ensure that the most vulnerable seniors live in safe and secure environments where their needs are taken care of.
Long-term care provides fragile seniors with the chance to engage in numerous social and recreational activities like bingo, shuffleboard, movie nights, and just general interaction with other residents.
Living in Ontario
All of Ontario's major cities provide excellent long-term care services, including excellent retirement homes in Ottawa and nursing homes in the GTA. Ontario also offers long-term care communities in rural areas, for seniors who enjoy being amongst peaceful natural settings. Such living arrangements are suitably relaxing.
The Benefits of Long-Term Care
Long-term care homes present multiple unique benefits, both to seniors and their families. Some of these include:
- Families have peace of mind because they know that their loved one is being cared for.
- Residents receive constant and committed care from a home’s trained staff.
- Living in a retirement home is a great way to avoid loneliness.
- Many long-term care homes cater to particular tastes and cultures, like vegetarianism or kosher cuisine.
Regulations in Ontario
In Ontario, the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA) is responsible for the following (which has been adapted from the RHRA’s website):
- Licensing and regulating Ontario’s retirement homes
- Dealing with complaints about retirement homes
- Keeping a public list of retirement homes in the province
- Teaching retirement homes, residents, and the public about retirement home legislation
The Ontario Retirement Communities (ORCA) is a non-profit, voluntary organizations that establishes strict rules about how its member homes must operate. Being an ORCA member enhances the reputation of a given home, so compliance and improvement is in its best interest. When you are choosing a retirement home for yourself or a loved one, you may wish to find out whether it is a member of ORCA.
Ontario will help you pay for a long-term care home. As the Ontario Long-Term Care Association (OLTCA) explains: "A person’s application for admission to a long term care home is based on their medical need, not their ability to pay. Government provides a subsidy for those residents who are unable to afford the full resident co-payment." This organization, which advocates on behalf long-term care residents, estimates that, as of 2011, the province, through the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC), pays for approximately 65% of long-term care costs, while residents pay the remaining 35%.
The MOHLTC notes the following averages for long-stay programs (as of July 1, 2012):
- Basic or standard accommodation: $1674.14 monthly
- Preferred accommodation: $1947.89 monthly
- Referred accommodation (private room): $2274.86 monthly
The average rate of a short-stay program is $35.63 daily or $1083.75 monthly. We also offer more information about retirement home costs.
Ontario Long-Term Care
2245 Lawrence Avenue West, Etobicoke, Ontario, M9P 3W3
The Village of Humber Heights in Etobicoke offers different levels of service from independent apartments with meals to assisted living to long-term care.
60 Woodlawn Road East, Guelph, Ontario, N1H 8M8
This elegant Guelph retirement home offers a range of care including assisted living and long term care, serviced by a friendly, caring staff.
4100 Upper Middle Road, Burlington, Ontario, L7W 4W8
Elegant Burlington, Ontario retirement home including everything from the current long term care to new independent living suites, offering various seniors services.
3800 Brock Sreet North, Whitby, Ontario, L1R 3A5
The Village of Taunton Mills in Whitby presents several levels of service from seniors' apartments with meals to assisted living to long-term care.
695 Block Line Road, Kitchener, Ontario, N2E 3K1
This elegant retirement residence in Kitchener-Waterloo offers a continuum of care from long-term care to assisted living to independent living seniors apartments.
260 Church Street, Stratford / Ottawa, Ontario, N5A 2R6
With homes in Stratford and Ottawa, Ontario, All Seniors Care encourages active and vibrant living in a supportive, comfortable and safe environment.
9 Evans Road P.O. Box 938, Alliston, Ontario, L9R 1W1
This Alliston, Ontario retirement home offers independent living and a variety of seniors' care including Alzheimer's support, PSW's and more.
1430 Upper Wellington Street, Hamilton, Ontario, L9A 5H3
This award winning Hamilton retiremetn home offers varying senior care,just minutes away from shopping, theatres, restaurants and major transportation links.