Respite care for seniors in Vancouver
A look at trial stays in seniors' care homes
Families in Vancouver are encouraged to seek out professional respite care for elderly relatives. When a parent or elderly loved one requires extensive care, this is cumulatively taxing on your time, energy and resources. Caregivers in Greater Vancouver (including Surrey, Burnaby, Coquitlam, etc.) can get a break from caregiving by availing themselves of a number of services
Your options in respite care include the following:
- Residential care facilities
- Adult day centres and programs
- Home care services
Vancouver care homes with respite stays
Advantages of respite care homes in Vancouver and area
A number of Vancouver's top retirement homes offer respite care services, with a number of obvious advantages to families and seniors.
For the caregiver, these benefits include:
- A needed break, in which they take a vacation, spend time with their own family, travel, or just gather strength, get some work done, or do whatever else they need.
- Relief from caregiver stress and fatigue, which accumulates over time. This can lead to personal and even health problems.
- 24-hour supervision and care for older patients, in a dedicated care environment staffed by medical professionals. Care will certainly include housekeeping and meals, and may include other types of services ranging from dressing to incontinence care and other specifics.
For the elderly family member with dementia or another care need, the benefits include:
- An opportunity to interact with peers
- A safe environment, often designed specifically for dementia sufferers, including colour-coded hallways, explicit room signage and other helpful aids for those suffering memory disorders.
- Professional caregiving offered by people trained in techniques including the Gentle Persuasive Approach
- Exposure to therapies like Brain Games that can relieve some symptoms of dementia including progressive memory loss, etc.
If you find yourself in need of
Use a short stay to test out your options
A trial stay in a retirement home is a great way to get facts. When doing so, you are likely to have your eyes opened to local senior care available to you, the excellent facilities and environments available, and the professional care staff in these residences.
Short-term stays are an ideal tool for families, as Alzheimer's Disease progresses. You can try out a variety of local memory care facilities, find out how costs fit your budget and how care facilities meet the specific needs of your aging loved one. Many retirement homes are adjusting facilities' design and care options to meet the needs of an increasing number of dementia patients. This includes those with Alzheimer's Disease certainly, but also other dementias, including early onset Alzheimer's, Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, Lewy Body Dementia and other related dementias and memory disorders.
Homes listed above have much more detail about short term stays they offer, and what types of care are available.