10 Things to Know Before Visiting a Retirement Residence
The thought of retiring in a senior living residence can seem like a one-size-fits all thing that happens when we age. But deciding which retirement residence suits you comes with as much thought as buying your first home: Where do you want to be, what feels comfortable and secure, and when is the right time to move in? We'll circle back to the "when" later, but the where comes with a host of sub-category questions that will help you determine the perfect place: From neighborhood to on-site amenities, specialized programming to types of suites and levels of care, it's a big decision that requires forethought.
Choosing what works for you is most dependent on your lifestyle-as well as the one you wish to maintain through retirement and beyond. This includes the kind of environment that will make you feel the most supported, valued and inspired. You'll be here for years to come, so it has to feel like home!
So before you start your search, we've put together a list of questions to ask yourself to help you choose your ideal retirement residence.
10 questions to ask yourself before choosing a retirement residence
- Having an understanding of the different levels of care is paramount. It will not only decide the location based on which retirement residence offers which living options, but is also an exercise in honesty with yourself. How much assistance will you require, and when? Is it weekly light laundering, or daily support from a dedicated and caring staff? We've laid out the difference between independent living, assisted living, and memory care services for you here, so you're armed with the knowledge you need to choose what's right for your needs.
- What are the suites like? This includes not only the physical size and layout, but what's included in your monthly rent: storage, parking, etc. At Verve, our luxurious private 1-, 1-bedroom + den, and 2-bedroom suites are designed for optimal senior functionality, safety, and comfort, ready for you to personalize with your treasured possessions to really make it feel like home.
- The kitchen is the heart of the home, and we can't stress enough how important a nutritious and exciting dining program is to your retirement lifestyle. Verve Red Seal-certified chefs prepare delicious meals fresh daily, with care taken for specific dietary needs as required by our residents as part of our commitment to the highest quality of care.
- What programs does the retirement residence run? At Verve, we believe in active aging through inspired living, and our specialized Life Enrichment programming reflects this through clubs and activities, entertainment, socials, and fitness programs-all designed to accommodate a range of mobility and varied interests.
- Much like the engaging social opportunities offered through programs, on-site amenities are an important part of the retirement residence lifestyle. Does the one you're interested in feature those that are important to you? Is there a community feel created through welcoming common spaces? Is there availability of wellness facilities, a games room, library, walking paths, etc?
- Peace of mind comes from knowing the safety and security protocols of your retirement residence of choice. Cleanliness, compassionate and professional staff, senior-specific security, and more are all things you can experience first-hand on a personalized tour of a Verve retirement residence. We are at your service, and ready to welcome you!
- Welcome to theneighbourhood: Is this one you're familiar with, or brand-new to? Does it offer walkable amenities, is it close to transportation, and are there health care facilities nearby?
- Before you sign on the dotted line, what is the financial commitment? This covers what's included in the rent, how fees change as care needs change, and finding out how often rents and service fees increase. It's important to note that rental retirement property regulations vary between provinces and territories, as well as the individual policies of each residence: From pets, and housekeeping, to how many meals per day are included at each level and care service details, familiarize yourself with the fine print!
- Reputation. Verve is committed to providing the highest level of service delivered by a professional staff with sensitivity and care. We value long-term relationships and are active members of the communities we are proud to be a part of.
- 10. Last but certainly not least: How does the residence feel to you? Is it warm and welcoming in its design, amenities, programs, and through the atmosphere created by the staff? Can you picture enjoying your day-to-day in this place?
Perhaps a residence has everything on your checklist, or you're simply interested in "seeing for yourself", Trial Stays are a wonderful way to experience what day in the life at a Verve Senior Living residence looks like. From the amenities to your new neighbours and attentive staff, we trust you'll love getting to know who your future community is made of. Read more about all the benefits of a Trial Stay here.
We mentioned that when is an important part of the decision-making process: when is it the right time for you-or even a loved one-to move into a retirement residence? To handle this transition with the utmost care and sensitivity, we've put together some helpful tips on how to have the conversation about moving into a retirement residence, as well as put together an easy-to-use Getting Started Guide for yourself, or for a loved one.
Find a Verve Senior Living residence in your area and book a tour today to see for yourself! We know you'll love the Verve Difference.