Nanaimo Retirement Communities
The best senior living in the hub city
Nanaimo is home to several excellent places to retire, as seen in the list below. In itself, the city is a retirement destination, of course, and retirement homes listed below offer the very finest amenities as well as appealing activities and outings, as well as a ready group of peers who will welcome you into the fold, make you feel comfortable, and make it easy to socialize. Research communities below and find out how delightful senior living is. Below the listings, there's more information about retirement living in the 2020's, plus links to tools and tips to help in your research.
List of Nanaimo retirement homes
What you get in Nanaimo senior living communities above
Retirement homes offer new and completely unique opportunities to socialize and make new friends. The peers around you are positive-minded people your own age who have come through many of the same experiences and have the same enthusiasms that you have. Moving into a community when it’s your own decision is the best, but if care needs arise, communities can often accommodate those. Some offer a full spectrum of care.
Communities today focus on modernized, accessible buildings, with a focus on creating a lifestyle that’s vibrant, chock full of daily activities that you can take part in at your leisure, surrounded by both care staff and peers who are looking out for you 24/7. The life you live in a contemporary retirement home is infinitely better than living alone. With real estate prices these days, it’s easily affordable for many people. Features that are typical in retirement homes in Nanaimo may include any or all of the following:
- Daily activities like games, exercise classes, and outings to shopping, etc.
- Onsite pubs, bistros, and other hangouts where you’ll meet friendly faces
- Learning centres and in-house libraries
- Swimming pools, putting greens, indoor driving ranges or other sports facilities
- Spa and beauty services
- Movie nights in in-house theatres
- Outdoor activities like community gardening, shuffleboard, bocce, etc.
- Arts, poetry groups and other group activities that you’ll love
Senior living in Nanaimo
The amenities and activities above are often off the radar for many seniors who are used to living alone in the home where they raised a family. This home can feel very comfortable but there comes a time when, as one senior puts it, “It was just time for me to move on.” Why live surrounded by people less than half your age when you can live so much better in a place that’s designed just for you?
So many seniors who move into a retirement community like those in Nanaimo never look back and often wish they had made the change earlier. Think about it!
- You leave behind dishwashing, home maintenance and updates, and all the housework.
- You find yourself among a hundred or more friends who are all “just outside the door.”
- The schedule of activities means “there’s always something to do” other than watch TV.
- You’re surrounded by staff and peers, and family never has to worry about you.
That’s really just the tip of the iceberg. Many who make the move find their life improved in ways they never imagined. Amelia is one person who moved from out of the area to a community like one of those listed above. She loves her new social life! “Even breakfast,” she says, “can take me an hour or more because there are so many people to talk to.” When she lived alone, “I’d eat in ten minutes and wonder what to do with the rest of the day.” In her new community, she is “with people all day, as often as I want to be. It’s so healthy!” Like Amelia, you’ll very likely find yourself unable to imagine ever wanting to live in your old home that no longer suits you.
Read more testimonials in the links to reviews below, and use these tools to help you make the right choice.