Retirement homes and senior care are being improved upon constantly, as times change, technology improves and there are new advancements in mobility, care and construction. Communities listed below have recently upgraded or are in the process of updating facilities to serve the needs of today’s seniors. Move into one of these communities and you’re certain to get the best in contemporary retirement living and care; they’re looking for new residents like you.
Communities under renovation
Some communities currently under renovation have a waiting list for new residents. Units in these communities will have the freshest feel and look imaginable. You'll get to move in with others who are also new to the retirement home experience. Many of these have a short waiting list, so contact them today!
Click here to refine this list
11479 Valley Ridge Drive NW, Calgary,
At The Lodge at Valley Ridge, you'll enjoy spacious suites, impressive cuisine, and exceptional services. We have recently renovated. We welcome the opportunity to show you our great community.
175 North Front Street, Belleville,
Ontario, K8P 4Y8
The Richmond, combines an affordable lifestyle with comfort, security and friendly full service. You will feel a sense of warmth and know you are home the minute you walk in the door.
55 Ameer Avenue, Toronto,
Ontario, M6A 2Z1
We are Toronto's Finest Kosher Retirement Residence. Located on the Baycrest campus in the heart of North York's Jewish community. Terraces of Baycrest, "Where Life Thrives". Call us today for more information.
2 Neptune Drive, Toronto,
2 Neptune Drive is a unique residential community designed for active adults 65+ who enjoy being part of a large, close-knit community and taking part in a myriad of fitness, recreational and social programs.
7051 Moffat Road, Richmond,
British Columbia, V6Y 3W2
Courtyard Gardens offers an enriching community, with quality staff & friendly & caring environment. 107 Private & Subsidized suites in Assisted Living, 31 Private Pay Extended Care studio suites & 1 Respite Suite.
867 KLO Road, Kelowna,
British Columbia, V1Y 9G5
Living at Hawthorn Park Retirement Residence means you have choices & can customize the services you need, as you need them. We offer three lifestyle opportunities; supportive living, assisted living & complex care.
15 Summerland Terrace, Toronto,
Ontario, M9A 0B5
Tapestry at Village Gate West is an active aging community located in Toronto’s central Etobicoke neighbourhood, just minutes from the historic Village of Islington.
221 Milner Avenue, Scarborough,
Ontario, M1S 4P4
Sts. Peter and Paul Residence offers a modern, efficient, and self-sustaining seniors community operated by a professional and compassionate staff.
1 Yates Gate, Hamilton,
Ontario, L9B 1T8
St. Elizabeth Village is a place where community comes first. The Village is set on an impressive 114-acre natural oasis of parks and ponds. Enjoy a non-stop slate of social activities in a vibrant, active lifestyle.
880 Lawrence Ave E, North York,
At Greenview Residence, we offer a complete range of care services in a welcoming environment. Whether it's our compassionate staff, fresh homemade meals, or exciting and engaging activities, you will truly feel at home.
110 & 120 Central Park Dr, Ottawa,
Ontario, K2C 4G3
Whether you're looking for independent living, assisted living or memory care, you can access them all in one location at Park Place. We are a vibrant, social community surrounded by parks and close to many amenities.
83 Goosie Loop, Garlands Crossing,
Nova Scotia, B0N2T0
The Crossing is a vibrant active living community in the beautiful Annapolis Valley, an award-winning wine region. Residents will enjoy nearby walking trails, community gardens, golf, skiing & casual or fine dining.
3520 31 St. NW, Calgary,
Alberta, T2L 2A5
Welcome to the BRC, a beautiful assisted living facility located in the heart of Calgary's NW. Enjoy the peace of mind knowing that your loved ones are safe and cared for with our friendly and passionate staff.
1335 Benson Street, Oshawa,
Ontario, L1K 0W6
Harmony Hill offers comfort, security, and friendship, as well as a full range of amenities and services that you expect from a premier, active-living seniors community.
480 Metcalfe Street, Ottawa,
Ontario, K1S 3N6
Villagia is centrally located on the edge of the Glebe, the downtown core and just steps away from the world renowned Rideau Canal.
80 Elgin Mills Road East, Richmond Hill,
Ontario, L4C 0L3
Award Winning Delmanor Elgin Mills, has proudly served the Richmond Hill community since 2002.
148 Markham Road, Scarborough,
Ontario, M1M 2Z8
Scarborough Retirement Centre offers a variety of suites and apartments, with a library, pharmacy, seniors' centre, shopping, theatre and more nearby.
2881 Eglinton Avenue East, Scarborough,
Ontario, M1J 0A2
McCowan Retirement Residence is a vibrant and family oriented retirement home located in Scarborough. With team members who have been here since we opened in 2004, you can expect a warm welcome and a feeling of home.
1459 Nottinghill Gate, Oakville,
Ontario, L6M 4W1
Delmanor Glen Abbey is an award winning Oakville retirement community with beautiful walking paths and outdoor amenities.
Advantages of moving into a newly updated community
Some of the contemporary-minded aspects you might find in these newly renovated communities might include:
- Up-to-date accessibility design and safety throughout the building, including gently sloping ramps, refurbished elevators and more
- Clean, state-of-the-art dining facilities
- Up-to-date facilities for fitness and other activities
- Spacious environments for optimal enjoyment, leisure
- Lush landscaping with beautiful gardens and lawns that provide a healthy, vibrant environment to spend time in
- The latest in security technology, including high tech cameras and more
- The latest in medical alert technology used in your suite and around the building
- Contemporary lighting, with expansive windows and best available views of your environment
- Bathrooms designed for maximum comfort and mobility needs, including safety bars, walk-in showers and comfort height toilets
- Up-to-date heating and air conditioning for maximum comfort
These are just a few of the features that retirement communities are adding, in order to appeal to people today.
Moving into an established facility
In addition to the newness of a refurbished building, there are a number of advantages that come from moving into an already established community:
- A care community is already in place, so you know what you are getting. You can review the retirement residences' reputation and talk to people who are currently living there. In an established facility, you can familiarize yourself with already-trained, experienced, caring staff, and with the residence's already-in-place features. In today's high quality retirement homes, this may include the dining hall and kitchen, the lounge, external landscaping, billiards rooms and many other features. You can see what all of these features are like in situ – without speculating how they will actually turn out, as you would in a new build.
- You may be saving money. On a square footage basis, a renovated residence is likely to cost the builder less than when they are building and selling a new community, so this savings is likely passed on to you. You are getting the best of both worlds: newness, without the price of being new.
- Added character. Older retirement homes tend to be in older neighbourhoods so you can expect to find nearby parks, tree-lined streets and other typical aspects of a neighbourhood that has aged and is not likely to have other places that are 'under construction' now or in the future.
- Opportunity to talk to the neighbours. You can see who already lives in the residence (maybe you even know some of the people) and you can decide how eager you are to move in, on that basis.
In a newly renovated community everyone is in a better mood. In a community of your peers, enjoying today’s active retirement living, you’ll feel great every day. Being with people in an updated, clean, spacious and comfortable living environment will improve your outlook on life, can improve your health and your overall personal well-being. Suites are designed for easy living, with today's active, vibrant senior in mind.