6 Benefits of Interest Classes for SeniorsWant to get active and involved in your community? General interest classes for seniors are a great way to meet new people, make friends and have fun! Seniors who are lifelong learners reap the benefits mentally, socially and physically. So get out there, have fun and learn something new!
6 Benefits of Interest Classes
Whether you have always loved a hobby like painting or want to try something new, there are many benefits to being a lifelong learner. The sheer joy of learning is just one of the many advantages of taking a general interest class. Signing up for a class can help you:
- Remain connected to your community
- Keep your mind active and healthy
- Have fun
- Keep busy
- Meet new people
- Find new passions and hobbies
Types of Classes for Seniors
There are a wide range of classes available for seniors, including:
Really your imagination is the limit. You can find classes, courses and groups on any topic, subject, hobby or activity.
Where Can You Sign Up?
There are a number of different places that you can go to sign up for a general interest class:
1. Look at your town's recreation guide to see what kinds of classes they offer. Examples of common courses for seniors include:
2. A number of community centres, senior's activity centres and libraries also offer inexpensive or free classes for seniors. Examples of activities offered include:
- Bus trips
- Cards and games (hearts, bingo)
- Meditation classes
- Book clubs
- Lectures, workshops and clinics
3. Even colleges and universities are offering programs geared towards seniors. For example, Ryerson University offers a number of courses for people aged 50+ including courses in:
- Dramatic Arts
- Liberal Arts
- Media Arts (including Film classes)
- Estate and retirement planning
- Community engagement - lecture series and film festivals for seniors
No matter your age or activity level the right class is out there for you. Reach out to your local community and find out what is available. Enjoy getting active and the many other benefits of taking general interest classes for seniors.
* * * * *
What types of classes would you like to try? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.