How to Downsize and Declutter Your Home: Key Advice and TipsIs your home feeling lonely? This is one of the key questions you may be asking yourself as you go through your house and all of your belongings these days, trying to decide what to keep and what you just don't need anymore.
For many people, the thought of doing so with every room in the house is extremely overwhelming and stressful, and you may be wondering where you even collected half of the things you own, never mind trying to decide how to get rid of them and where to do so.
Downsizing concerns and questions include:
- Is your home feeling lonely? Discussing how too much unused space can affect us emotionally and how downsizing can substantially improve your retirement.
- Stop warehousing your kids' stuff — Tips and approaches for getting your children to claim the stuff they've stashed with you over the years.
- There's no way I can downsize — I have too many things! Don't be put off by this thought, it can be done! Consider the nine points in this section when moving into a smaller space.
- Less is more as time passes — Consider the advantages of your new living space, particularly smaller spaces, and making room for more family time, friends, and all of the activities you enjoy.
- Downsizing: Five ways to stay in control — Including top strategies from the pros about setting clear goals and timelines, as well as knowing it's okay to just say 'No!'
Decluttering highlights and tips include:
- Reducing your belongings — Focusing on the best places to start downsizing, where to find homes for your most treasured possessions, and considering having some belongings appraised and sold at a price you're happy with. Also consider donating to charities and organizations of your choice.
- What to keep, give away, sell or throw out — One of the hardest parts is being honest with yourself about what you want to keep and what, ultimately, has to go. Advice from the experts here can help you make those final decisions, including their top ten downsizing tips.
- 16 Best de-cluttering tips — These additional tips from the experts will help keep you on track, market your possessions accurately, and stay organized.
- Downsizing by the book — 15 minutes a week is all you need to start reorganizing your bookshelves and these nine tips can help you decide which forms of literature you want to keep, pass on, or look into (such as eBooks!).
- If you don't want it, make money on it! Consider selling, donating, recycling and rubbish as your optional homes for the things you don't want.
This major step in your life doesn't have to be a dreadful experience — with the right information ahead of time and reconsideration regarding the possessions you use most, the process of downsizing can go a bit smoother. Think of it as a discovery of what you can live with (and without), what will work best in your new living space, being honest about the value of what you own, and how these belongings help or hinder you. Downsizing is within your control!
This free eBook is available to download here!
* * * * *
Are you struggling with how to downsize your home? Or do you have tips for others on staying in control while downsizing? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below.