Christian retirement homes
Find a community of fellow believers
Christian retirement homes like those listed below offer senior believers (both Protestant and Catholic), a community of peers with shared faith and values. Not all communities have the same depth of Christian values, and some are denominational while others are non, but those listed below affirm Christianity as an affiliation. Some of these will be explicitly faith-based, with services and features in the community that appeal to those who want to live in a community with strong religious values.
List of Christian retirement residences
What makes a retirement home Christian
Of course, there are different denominations of Christianity, and people have a variety of perspectives, backgrounds and biases. This is exemplified by the fact that some communities above may be less conservative, while supporting onsite activities like Bible study groups and/or offering a chapel where members can worship together. In any community above, though, many fellow community members will be professing Christians.
If you are interested in investigating the orthodoxy of a community, there are ways to probe further right on our website. Look at the manager’s message or read the community’s profile description to see how they describe their approach. You might also want to look at their mission statement (if they have one). Of course, among Christian retirement homes there are those that may be explicitly Catholic, Presbyterian, Baptist or affiliated with another denomination. The dominant trend, though, is to be non-denominational. If distinctions matter to you, investigate further.
You can also use our site to read reviews by fellow members and see their reflections.
Christian seniors' residences: advantages
- There will be tolerance for, and encouragement of open displays of faith.
- You have opportunities to make new friends among fellow believers. Being in a community of faith may be important to your strength and encouragement, especially in times of difficulty.
- Many Christian seniors’ communities, including several of those above, offer lower fees. Many are, in fact, non-profit. If that’s your preference, cross-reference the list above with non-profit retirement homes.
- You may also find it comforting to receive care from people who are also professed Christians.
- Communities will, of course, offer organized services that encourage spiritual growth in ways you care about.
- An onsite chapel will allow you to worship. Chapels may have services tailored toward different denominations, such as specifically Presbyterian observances, etc.
- A faith-based community offers you the opportunity to grow and nurture your faith in new ways, given that you are in a group of senior peers.
Even if you are not as orthodox as some others, you know there is a benefit to being around spiritually-minded people. These include personal, health and social benefits.
Focusing on care over faith
Care provided in a Christian community will meet standards followed by other communities, of course. However, you should follow the most practical senior care advice and getting the proper care you require. For example, even if the community offers assisted living, they might not offer care for incontinence. Be practical.
That said, several communities above offer a full continuum of care, ideal destinations for anyone no matter what their background.
Live in community with fellow believers
Seniors in Christian retirement homes have shared with us the immense value they put in being in this environment. Here are a few examples:
Ruth Brown, a senior at one Toronto Christian retirement home, puts it like this: “My faith is very important to me and I like living in a community where that’s openly supported. Faith is important here. We have a chapel, we have Bible study… staff and other members of the community acknowledge people’s faith. They’re encouraging, and sometimes you need that. I go to the Bible study Monday night but I‘m often a little late and of course everyone is very forgiving!”
Vivian at a Calgary Christian retirement home says, “You definitely feel the love here.”
Whether you are a lifelong Christian who finds you need a little extra help as you get older (or maybe you are just tired of living alone) or you are someone who has had an awakened or renewed sense of spirituality as you have matured, communities above offer a Christian environment that will enhance your experience as you move forward into the new world of retirement.